Serving Size: 4 servings
6 cups water
1 ham bone or ham hock
1 cup small cubes of ham
1/2 pound split peas
1 medium onion (cut up)
1 large stalk of celery (cut up)
1 large or two small carrots (cut into small pieces)
1/4 green pepper (cut up)
2 bay leaves
2 medium size potatoes (cut into quarters and cut each quarter into 4 pieces)
1 medium size potato (grated)
Enough milk to thin soup
salt and pepper to taste
1. Check split peas to remove any small rocks and wash, drain off any water.
2. Place water in a six quart pot. Bring water to boil.
3. Add split peas, ham bone, celery, onion, green pepper and bay leaves.
4. Return to the boil. Reduce heat and boil gently for about 20 minutes, with a lid on the pot, until vegetables are soft but not fully cooked.
5. Add cut potatoes, grated potatoes, ham pieces and salt and pepper.
6. Return to boil, reduce heat and gently boil, with lid off, until potatoes and vegetables are fully cooked.
7. Stir often to prevent sticking to the bottom of the pot. The soup mixture will become very thick when done. Allow to cool, add enough milk to thin the soup to your liking.
8. Served with salad and french bread.