Serving Size: 6
8 asparagus spears, peeled, cut into 1-inch pieces (about 1 cup)
6 tbsps finely chopped fresh chives
3 to 3 1/2 cups vegetable stock
1 tbsp. butter
2 large shallots, minced
1 cup arborio rice
2 tbsps julienned lemon peel
1/8 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. freshly ground pepper
2 tbsps grated cheese
1. In medium saucepan, bring vegetable stock to a boil. Reduce heat to low; cover and keep stock simmering while making risotto.
2. Melt butter in large saucepan over medium heat.
3. Add shallots; cook for 1 to 2 minutes.
4. Add rice; stir to coat all grains with butter. Cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
5. Add lemon peel and 1/2 cup of hot stock to rice; cook until all liquid has been absorbed, stirring constantly.
6. Adjust heat as necessary to keep rice mixture simmering. Continue to add stock 1/2 cup at a time, cooking and stirring constantly.
7. After 2 to 2 1/2 cups of stock have been added, stir in asparagus and 4 tbsps of the chives. Continue adding stock 1/2 cup at a time, cooking and stirring constantly until rice is tender with a slight firmness in the center.
8. Add salt, pepper, remaining 2 tbsps chives and cheese; stir until cheese is melted.
9. Serve immediately.