30 mL (2 tbsp) olive or canola oil
3 stalks celery, diced
3 carrots diced
1 zucchini, sliced
1 yellow squash, diced
50 mL (1/4 cup) shredded fresh basil or 15 mL (1 tbsp) dried
0.5 mL (1/8 tsp) each salt and pepper
Hot red pepper sauce
375 mL (1 1/2 cups couscous
500 mL (2 cups) vegetable or chicken sauce
1. In a large saucepan, heat the oil. Add the celery and carrots and saute, stirring, for about 7 minutes or until softened but not browned.
2. Add the zucchini and squash and cook, stirring, 2 to 4 minutes longer or until slightly softened.
3. Add the basil with the salt, pepper, and a few dashes of the hot pepper sauce and toss to mix.
4. Add the coucous to the saucepan and with a wooden spoon, gently mix with the vegetables to coat the coucous grains well.
5. Pour the stock into the saucepan and gently mix. Bring the stock to a boil, then cover the saucepan and remove from the heat.
6. Allow the coucous to stand for about 5 minutes or until the coucous grains are tander and all the liquid is absorbed.
7. With a fork, lightly fluff up the coucous to separate the grains.