Half a British Iceberg lettuce, finely shredded
1 medium onion, finely chopped
50g butter or margarine
1 clove garlic, crushed
25g plain flour
600ml chicken stock
150ml skimmed milk
1 tblsp chopped fresh tarragon
salt and freshly ground pepper
150ml thick natural yoghurt
few tarragon leaves to garnish
1. Fry the onion gently in the butter or margarine for 3-4 minutes.
2. Add the garlic and flour and stir over the heat for 1 minute.
3. Gradually stir in the stock and milk and bring to the boil.
4. Add most of the lettuce and the tarragon, and season to taste.
5. Simmer for 20 minutes.
6. Blend the soup in a liquidiser until smooth.
7. Return to a clean pan and heat; add the yoghurt and remaining lettuce and continue to heat through, stirring.
8. Garnish with tarragon leaves and serve piping hot.