Serving Size: 4
1 Head garlic
1 tb Extra virgin olive oil
1 tb Balsamic vinegar or Brandy
1 Sprig fresh rosemary
3 cups Vegetable broth
1/2 c Dry white wine
Salt and pepper -- to taste
1/2 Loaf bread
1 Clove garlic -- cut once Lengthwise
Extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup Grated Parmesan cheese
1 tb Garlic chives -- minced
1. Preheat the oven to 300F.
2. Slice the top from the head of garlic and remove most of the papery outer skin from the head, but do not peel or separate into cloves.
3. Place in a small ovenproof dish. Pour the olive oil over the top and add the vinegar and rosemary.
4. Cover with aluminum foil and bake until very tender, about 1 hour.
5. Remove from the oven and let cool.
6. Prepare 1/2 loaf of whole wheat Italian bread: cut diagonally into 1/2 inch-thick slices.
7. Preheat the oven to 350F.
8. Squeeze the softened garlic from the skins into a saucepan, and add the
broth and wine.
9. Heat to a simmer over medium-low heat and cook for 15 minutes.
10. While cooking, make the herb toast. Bake the bread slices on a baking sheet until crisp but not golden, 6 to 8 minutes.
11. Rub the bread with the cut sides of the garlic clove, then brush
generously with oil.
12. Sprinkle on a thin layer of the Parmesan cheese and chives.
13. Bake until the cheese is melted, another 5 minutes.
14. Serve immediately with the hot soup.