1 1/2 cups butter, softened
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
7 eggs, separated
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 pounds diced yellow, green, and red candied pineapple (about 3 cups)
1 pound red and green candied cherries (about 2 cups)
1/4 pound diced candied citron (about 1/2 cup)
1/2 pound golden raisins (about 1 1/2 cups)
3 cups pecan halves
1 cup black walnuts, coarsely chopped
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
Additional candied fruit and nuts (optional)
1/4 cup brandy
1. Line and grease a 10-inch tube-pan.
2. Cream butter; gradually add sugar, beating well at medium speed
with electric mixer.
3. Stir in flavorings.
4. Beat egg yolks; alternately add yolks and 3 cups flours to creamed mixture.
5. Combine candied pineapple, cherries, citron, golden raisins,
pecans, and walnuts in a bowl; dredge with 1/2 cup flour, stirring
to coat well.
6. Stir mixture into batter.
7.Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form; fold into batter.
8. Spoon batter into prepared pan.
9. Arrange additional candied fruit and nuts on top of batter, if desired.
10.Cover pan with 10-inch brown paper circle, greased side down.
11. Bake at 250 degrees for about 4 hours, press top of cake, if it springs back, it should be done.
12. Remove from oven. Take off paper cover, and slowly pour 1/4 cup brandy evenly over cake; cool completely on wire rack.