1 9-inch pastry shell, cooked
1 1/2 cups sugar
3 Tbsp cornstarch
3 Tbsp. all purpose flour
1 1/2 cups hot water
3 slightly beaten egg yolks
2 Tbsp. butter or margerine
1/2 tsp. grated lemon peel
1/3 cup lemon juice
3 egg whites
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/4 tsp. cream of tartar
6 Tbsp. sugar
1. In saucepan, mix sugar, cornstarch, and flour. Gradually add hot water,
2. Cook and stir over high heat til mixture comes to boiling. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer.
3. Remove form heat.
4. Stir small amount of hot mixture into egg yolks, then return to hot
mixture. Bring back to boiling and cook 2 minutes, stirring
5. Add butter and lemon peel.
6. Slowly add lemonb juice, mixing well.
7. Pour into pastry shell. Spread meringue* over filling and seal
8. Bake at 350 F for 12 to 15 minutes. Cool before cutting.
1. Beat egg whites with vanilla and cream of tartar til soft peaks form.
2. Gradually add sugar, beating til stiff and glossy peaks have formed
and all sugar is dissolved.