Serving Size: 8
3 tablespoons butter
1 medium onion -- chopped
2 stalks celery -- chopped
2 cups cooked kidney beans -- drained
1 1/2 cups tomato sauce (2 8-ounce cans)
2 teaspoons chili powder
3 drops hot pepper sauce
1 teaspoon ground cumin
2 cloves garlic -- minced
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 bay leaf
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 cup raisins
1 cup whole raw cashews
Monterey Jack or cheddar cheese -- grated
1. In a large saucepan melt the butter. Saute the onion, green pepper, and celery until crisp-tender, about 10 minutes.
2. Add the beans, tomato sauce, corn, tomatoes, chili powder, pepper sauce, cumin, garlic basil, oregano, bay leaf, and pepper.
3. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer 30 minutes to blend flavors.
4. Stir in the raisins and cashews; continue to simmer until the raisins are plump and the cashews are tender, about 20 minutes.
5. To serve, ladle into bowls and top each serving with grated cheese.
6. Serve with additional cheese.