10 asparagus stalks, ends snapped
1 Tbsp olive oil, divided
1/2 tsp salt, divided
12 oz fettuccine
1 cup dry white wine
3 shallots, chopped
1 1/2 cups whipping cream
1/3 cup plus 2 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese, divided
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
4 Tbsp butter
1 Tbsp minced chives
1 Tbsp minced mint
1. Wash and dry asparagus. Place stalks in a baking pan large enough to
hold them in one layer, and gently rub them with 1/2 tablespoon olive
2. Sprinkle 1/4 teaspoon salt over the asparagus and bake in a
preheated 425 degree oven for 12 to 15 minutes, depending upon the
thickness of the stalks. when cool enough to handle, cut into 1/2-inch
3. In a generous amount of salted boiling water, cook the fettuccine until
al dente. Drain, place in a bowl and toss with 1/2 tablespoon olive oil.
4. Pour wine into a large skillet or pan. Add shallots. Reduce over
medium heat to one half.
5. Wash lemons well and dry.
6. Add grated rind and juice from 2 lemons to the wine. Simmer 2 minutes.
7. Add cream. Bring to a boil, then lower heat and add 1/3 cup cheese, 1/4
teaspoon salt and cayenne pepper. Simmer slowly, whisking constantly,
about 4 minutes, or until sauce begins to thicken.
8. Cut cold butter into small pieces and add to the sauce, cooking 1 minute.
9. Add asparagus, pasta and 2 tablespoons cheese. Toss until pasta is thoroughly coated with sauce and heated through.
10. Serve in bowls amd sprinkle with grated peel from remaining lemon, chives and mint.