1 whole fish (3 lbs), cleaned, with the head left on
1 1/2 tsp (7 ml) salt
2 inch (5 cm) piece of fresh ginger root
1 tablespoon (15 ml) soy sauce
1 teaspoon (5 ml) sesame seed oil
3 tablespoons (45 ml) rice wine or dry sherry
1. Cut deep gashes into the sides of the fish, about 3/4 inch (2 cm) apart.
2. Rub the salt all over the fish, inside the cavity as well as on the skin outside, put the fish on a plate or in a shallow bowl.
3. Slice the ginger thinly. Clean the scallions, then cut into 1 inch
(2 1/2 cm) lengths. Put half the scallions and ginger into the cavity of the fish.
4. Carefully sprinkle the soy sauce and sesame oil over the fish and spread the rest of the ginger and scallions on top.
5. Pour one or two inches (2 1/2 or 5 cm) of water into a wok. Put the
plate in a steamer tray and set the tray over the water.
6. Sprinkle the wine or sherry over the fish. Bring the water to a boil, and cover the steamer and steam the fish for 20 to 25 minutes.
7. Remove from the steamer carefully and serve the fish immediately.