3 large eggs
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon cayenne
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon turmeric
8 oz soft mild goat cheese, softened
1/3 cup olive oil
1/4 cup water
2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice plus additional to taste
1 bunch broccoli (1 1/2 lb)
1. Cover eggs with cold water by 1 inch in a small heavy saucepan and bring to a boil, partially covered with lid. Reduce heat to low and cook eggs, covered completely, 10 minutes.
2. Transfer eggs with a slotted spoon to a bowl of cold water to stop cooking and let stand until cool enough to handle, about 2 minutes. Peel eggs and halve. Remove yolks and reserve. (Reserve whites for another use.)
3. Toast cumin, cayenne, salt, and turmeric in a dry small heavy skillet over moderate heat, stirring, until fragrant and a shade darker, about 1 minute.
4. Transfer spices to a blender along with yolks, goat cheese, oil, water, and citrus juices and blend until smooth. Season sauce with salt and additional lemon juice.
5. Trim broccoli and peel stems, keeping them attached. Cut broccoli lengthwise into large pieces, then cook in a 6- to 8-quart pot of boiling salted water until just tender, about 5 minutes.
6. Drain broccoli in a colander and serve hot or at room temperature with sauce.
Makes 6 first-course or side-dish servings