1/3 cup finely chopped onion
2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro stems
2 tablespoons minced fresh lemongrass (from bottom 6 inches of stalk)
1 tablespoon turmeric
1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
1 tablespoon ground cumin
3 large garlic cloves, halved
3/4 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
3/4 pound 1 1/2-inch-thick sea bass fillets, cut into 3-inch pieces
1 cup canned unsweetened coconut milk
2/3 cup bottled clam juice
Minced fresh cilantro
Freshly cooked rice
1. Blend first 8 ingredients in processor to dry paste, stopping frequently to scrape down sides of work bowl. (Paste can be prepared 3 days ahead. Cover and chill.)
2. Heat oil in medium nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add 2 rounded tablespoons spice paste; stir 1 minute.
3. Add fish and cook 2 minutes, turning occasionally with tongs.
3. Add coconut milk and clam juice and simmer until fish is cooked through, turning occasionally, about 6 minutes. Transfer fish to plate.
4. Boil liquid until reduced to thick sauce, about 8 minutes. Season with salt. Return fish to sauce and heat through.
5. Sprinkle with cilantro. Serve over rice.