2 lbs beef stew meat, cut in 1 inch pieces
2 tablespoons cooking oil
1 cup thinly sliced onions, separated into rings
1/2 cup chopped green peppers
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups beef broth or beef stock
1 (8 ounce) can tomatoes, cut up
1 (4 ounce) can mushroom stems and pieces, drained
1/3 cup bottled barbecue sauce
3 tablespoons cornstarch
hot cooked rice
1. In skillet brown meat in hot oil.
2. Drain off fat.
3. Place onion rings, green pepper and garlic in crockery cooker.
4. Place meat atop; sprinkle with salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper.
5. Add beef broth, undrained tomatoes, mushrooms and barbecue sauce; stir to mix.
6. Cover; cook on low-heat setting for 8-10 hours.
7. Turn cooker to high-heat setting.
8. Blend 1/4 cup cold water slowly into cornstarch; stir into stew.
9. Cover and cook till thickened and bubbly, stirring occasionally.
10. Serve over hot rice.