8 slices of white bread with the crusts removed
3/4 pound fresh shrimp, shelled, deveined, and chopped
2 to 3 water chestnuts, diced
1/2 medium onion, diced
1 scallion, chopped fine
salt to taste
white pepper to taste
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 tablespoon cornstarch
a few drops sesame oil
oil for deep frying
1. Cut each slice of bread into 4 squares, 32 squares total.
2. Combine the diced water chestnuts, onion, shrimp and mince until fine. Add the scallion, cornstarch, egg, white pepper and sesame oil. Mix together.
3. Place a heaping teaspoon of the shrimp mixture on a bread square. Continue with each of the bread squares.
4. Heat wok and add 2 to 4 cups oil. Heat the oil to 375F.
5. Carefully slide the bread pieces into the wok, a few slices at a time, shrimp mixture down. Deep fry until golden, about 2 minutes, then turn and deep fry on other side.
6. Drain on paper towels. Serve hot.